In this episode, Kara puts on her editor's hat to talk about the top 10 mistakes new designers make so you can avoid them! In her experience as editor of Creative Knitting magazine, there are several of common proposal issues she would encounter. As you'll learn, some are very simple and easy to implement, but ... often easy to forget!
The world doesn't need another boxy sweater pattern. Tell the unique story behind your design. You are your own best marketing machine, and the design proposal is your best first impression.
[Tweet "I'm listening to how to avoid the 10 common mistakes new #knit designers make on #PowerPurlsPodcast!"]
The 10 common mistakes, how you can avoid them if you follow these steps:
- Tell a story - share the vision behind your design and sell the editor on it!
- Clearly illustrate your idea through sketch or photo
- State the design skill level
- DON'T list yarn as "generic" - be specific!
- Know your yarn! What's hot and new? Do your research!
- Provide multiple swatches - especially for special shaping: armholes, necklines, bust shaping
- Follow the designer guidelines and style before submitting to a publisher/yarn company
- Deliver what you promise - if you suggest a garment then be ready to write your pattern in multiple sizes
- DON'T send your proposal in the body of an email with photo attachments
- DO create a 1-2 page pdf containing all the components in one document
Click here to get the free checklist!
Click here to learn more about the benefits and rewards when you become a patron of Power Purls Podcast!