Lena Skvagerson is the lead designer and visionary behind Annie’s Signature Designs. Lena joined Annie’s in 2014, bringing with her over 25 years in the European design markets. We behind the scenes and what it was like creating the second seasonal Annie’s Signature Designs collection, Autumn Bliss.
Lena is a passionate designer and co-collaborator. Her energy for patterns, design and the whole creation process is contagious. She’s crazy enough to love each and every part of the process and this comes across in the finished product. Today we chat about all the fun we had working through the collection design process. We wanted to share our thoughts in this exclusive “behind the scenes” interview. You’re going to love this episode!
- Behind the scenes of designing a collection
- What it’s like to continually multitask and change gears to pull it all together
- The favorite part of the collection building process……it’s not as easy to choose as you think
- Find out exactly what is in the Autumn Bliss collection is
- Walk through the collection design planning and process - it’s really when the magic happens
- Merchandising plays a big role in the collection design
- So many people are involved in the design, production and the actual making of the collection. It’s a fun collaboration!
- Designing “on the needles” is a great way to start, so eventually you can design on paper
- Patterns are designed to fit a size medium model, but the collection covers up to 5 different sizes. The more sizes, the better the collection.
- Pattern writing skills are worthy of spending time to develop - that really is the product!
- Technical editors play an important role in pattern layout.
- The Layout department is what makes everything pretty!
- Technical editing and proof reading the patterns is so critical to the process.
- The photo shoot is an amazing experience and it really is a blast!
- We aren’t above stealing items from our daughter’s and friend’s wardrobes…..hopefully they aren’t listening!
- A variety of models makes for a better presentation of the collection.
- Find out what part of the process made Lena feel like “that crazy lady”!
- Search Annie’s Autumn Bliss on Pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/anniescatalog/annies-autumn-bliss-collection/?etslf=7622&eq=annies%20autumn%20bliss
- Pin 5 favorites and hashtag #anniesautumnblisscollection and #powerpurlspodcast
- Send email firstname.lastname@example.org include 5 links to shares to be eligible (shares can be Pinterest, FB, Instagram, Twitter, etc.)
- Name gets entered for a chance to win the Moonstone Poncho knitting pattern and yarn
- The winner is contacted via a message through Pinterest
- Contest ends midnight November 4