Welcome to Power Purls Unplugged! You asked, I'm answering! If you signed up for the Power Purls Podcast newsletter, you know that I asked you this question: What kind of podcast topics appeal to you most? 65% of you want lifestyle stories and 63% want to know about the business side of design. So I spent some time digging into your comments and questions and today I'll be answering them here and then turning the tables and asking you -- What kinds of topics appeal to you most as a Power Purls listener and what do you want more of?
Kara answers one of the biggest questions: How do I start a knit design business?
Kara says: Just start! -- let your passion drive you.
Put yourself out there with just one idea and get started.
Don't put a dollar sign on your passion!
- How you can sign up for my newsletter and get my free designing guide.
Why it's important to tell YOUR story
We don't need another pattern, so what is it that makes you different?
- Listen to my episode with Vickie Howell who is a great example of how you are your brand.
- Don't give your patterns away for free as your main business model.
- How to work with magazine like Creative Knitting -- and use the guidelines to help develop your skills.
- Join Facebook Groups like The Fiber Boss Collective to learn the biz and network with other designers.
- Get scrappy and use mainstream models to grow your design business.
- The myth of work/life balance- it's more about knowing when to make the right choices at the right time.
Support Power Purls on Patreon! Check out the details here to learn how to become a patron of the show... there are some pretty sweet rewards for getting in on this ground-floor level!