Dora Ohrenstein is a designer of fashion crochet, author of 6 books, and a writer specializing in crochet history and international traditions. Dora’s designs appears in all the major print and digital crochet publications. Given her avid interest in advancing the skills of the crochet community, she includes lots of in-depth technical information in all of her books. She also teaches crochet at Vogue Knitting Live, on Craftsy, and in yarn shops across the country.
Earlier in her life Dora was a well-known soprano who sang contemporary classical music, most notably as the solo voice of the Phillip Glass Ensemble, a position she held for 10 years. Nowadays in addition to her design career, she is a singing teacher at Wagner College in Staten Island. Dora is a born and raised New Yorker.
Being on the road as a musician gave Dora a love of travel, and today she engages in textile travel, which has brought her to many exotic locations, including the Balkans, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and the Ukraine. The experience has deepened her understanding of how crochet and knitting fit into the larger world of textiles.
- Failure is the best teacher and how that can help you learn crochet.
- Find out how each learning style easily lends itself to learning crochet.
- Crochet is easy enough to learn that you can learn complex patterns fairly quickly.
- So many lessons are learned from failure and Dora shares some of the ones she learned when she was new to crochet.
- At the end of the day, it’s just yarn!
- The best designers and crocheters rip. Find out why it’s helpful!
- Discipline cultivated in other creative endeavors can actually help hone your crochet skills.
- If you’re going to be interested in crochet, you better learn to love the process because the outcomes are not going to be fast!
- Have you ever heard crochet mentioned in a rap? Dora’s got a crochet rap for us!
- There are beautiful parallels between Dora’s vocal performance skills and her carefully honed crochet skills, both creatively and mathematically. Who knew?
- There’s something artistic and free about designing your own patterns.
- The beauty of embracing those “magical mistakes” on the hook.
- Learn why Dora finds her magic in the swatching.
- Find out what caused Dora to pick the hook back up after years of not crocheting.
- Dora has a “once in a lifetime” meeting (with crochet royalty) that ushers her right into the crochet “big leagues”.
- Dora shares some really great insights into both the knitting and the crocheting industry, and also shares some of her wishes and hopes for the industry.
- Dora talks about her new book, Top Down Crochet Sweaters, which has just been released. She’s also got a special giveaway for Power Purls listeners! Dora also has patterns for plus sizes too and she has some tips for the right fit. She knows that people aren’t standardized, so patterns can’t be standardized either!
Don't miss an opportunity to win a copy of Dora's new book, Top Down Crochet Sweaters at www.powerpurlspodcast.com/dora.